Also, I am going to create Geometry Ranks (taken from the USMC - United States Marine Corps). As a student makes his/her way through each section they will earn a part of their badge - the bade will be displayed in the classroom and the student will be able to decorate this as they receive badges. Also, I hope to post the badges (i.e. leaderboard) online - not sure how yet. So looking for ideas!
Also, each student is going to create an Lego Avatar for the year . . . may change it to fit the seasons but have heard how this helps with some students being a little less apprehensive about doing things and also taps into the creativity group that we all have in our classes. I can't wait to see this.
Planning on using journaling this year as well so will be using google docs Google Student site quite a bit . . . hopefully daily .
Here's a quick glance at my Geometry Ranks (not sure how to differentiate Honors Geometry in terms of rank other than the expectations are higher; I may look at using a different rank system but think that'll be confusing and a royal pain for me).
The underlined sections are breaks for the unit - so #1-3 are a Unit focusing on technology, geogebra, and constructions.
- Private - Avatar creation / Googlesite set up
- Private First Class - GeoGebra Essentials
- Lance Corporal - Construction Zone A
- Corporal - Geometry Definitions
- Sergeant - Congruency
- Staff Sergeant - Transformations
- Geometry Sergeant - Proof
- Master Sergeant - Triangle Property Proofs
- First Sergeant - Parallelogram Property Proofs
- Master Geometry Sergeant - Construction (Inscribed / Circumscribed)
- Sergeant Major - Dilations
- Sergeant Major of the Geometry Corp - Triangle Similarity
- Warrant Officer 1 - Indirect Measure
- Chief Warrant Officer 2 - Project
- Chief Warrant Officer 3 - Coordinate Geometry
- Chief Warrant Officer 4 - Slope
- Chief Warrant Officer 5 - Midpoint
- Second Lieutenant - Distance
- First Lieutenant - Circle Characteristic / Properties
- Captain - Circle Equation / Parabolas
- Major - Volume
- Lieutenant Colonel - Trigonometry
- Colonel - Pythagorean Theorem
- Brigadier Colonel - Final Project A
- Major General - Final Project B
- General - Final Project C
Next step is to create a grading/scoring rubric for the different ranks - as we all know, just because I am now a Lance Corporal doesn't necessarily mean I'm an expert at GeoGebra but I did complete the required steps. So, I need to create some levels - looking at using stars or some type of rewards (i.e. purple hearts) - need to research this idea.
Also, I am looking at having students build their Geometry backpack through the completion of extra work - origami activities, exeter problems, Algebra reviews, and so on. I am looking for android apps to use for this.
I wanted to get an overall feel as to what to cover and where before I created my online learning environment. Now I will need to look at Algebra from the big picture as well.